Stacked Squash and Bell Pepper Enchiladas
Here’s a vegetable-filled variation of the traditional stacked cheese enchilada. Using vegan cheese, it’s a snap to make. Serve with baked sweet potatoes and a big salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut to match summer squash
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut to match green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas
- Enchilada Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups grated vegan cheese
Heat the oil with 2 tablespoons water in a large skillet. Add the squashes and bell peppers and cook, covered, until just tender, stirring occasionally.
Preheat the oven to 400º F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment. Arrange 6 tortillas on it in and layer them as follows: A small amount of the sauce, a layer of the vegetables, a sprinkling of cheese, another tortilla, more sauce and another sprinkling of cheese.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are hot. Transfer the enchiladas to plates and serve at once.
- Here are more recipes using bell peppers.
- For lots more Southwestern-style recipes, go to A Southwestern Supper.