Rainbow Peppers and Red Onion
This stir-fry of colorful bell peppers is an especially nice addition to summer meals, but you can make it any time of year. Use it as a side dish, toss it with pasta, or top a pizza with it. Recipe contributed by Susan Jane Cheney. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium to large red onion, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin 2-inch-long-strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced to match red pepper
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper (or one of each), sliced to match red pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sliced fresh basil leaves, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Set a wok or stir-fry pan over medium-high heat. Pour the oil around the rim and swirl it to coat the sides. Add the onion and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
Add the garlic, then gradually add the peppers. Continue to stir-fry for about 5 minutes longer, until the vegetables are tender.
Grind in pepper and add the vinegar and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot or at room temperature.