Tomato Chickpea Soup with Tiny Pasta and Fresh Herbs
Here’s a soup that comes together in no time, yet tastes as if it has been simmered for hours.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tiny pasta such as ditalini or tiny bows
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 cup sliced oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced basil leaves, as desired
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden.
Add 4 cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then stir in the pasta. Cook until just al dente.
Add the remaining ingredients, except the salt and pepper. Return to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.