White Bean and Spinach Burgers
A mild yet flavorful vegan burger, this is equally good in pita sandwiches, on English muffins or rolls, or served without any bread at all. Youngsters who are open to spinach might enjoy eating these out of hand. Leftovers are delicious made into sandwiches for brown bag lunches.
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, well drained
- 15- to 16-ounce can canellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning blend (such as Spike or Mrs. Dash)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sautéing
Combine the oatmeal and 2/3 cup boiling water in a cup. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Mash the beans well in a mixing bowl. Add the oatmeal, then the remaining ingredients except the oil, and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Heat just enough oil to coat the bottom of a large, nonstick skillet. When sizzling hot, drop the burger mixture onto skillet in 1/4 cup portions and flatten lightly to 3- to 4-inch rounds. Cook on both sides over medium heat until nicely browned.
Transfer the cooked burgers to a plate lined with paper towels and repeat until all the burgers are cooked. Serve at once as suggested in the headnote, above.
Click here for lots more vegan burger recipes.Print This Post