Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
This broccoli soup gets a thick, creamy base from pureed white beans. This simple preparation is comforting and nourishing for kids and adults alike.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium-large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large or 3 medium broccoli crowns,
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 15- to 16-ounce can great northern beans
or cannellini, drained and rinsed
- Rice milk, as needed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill,
or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan or small soup pot and add the onion. Sauté over medium heat until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the broccoli, bouillon cube, and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the broccoli is tender but not overcooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the mixture in the saucepan to a food processor and add the beans. Puree until smooth, then transfer back to the saucepan. Or leave in the pot and puree with an immersion blender.
Add enough rice milk to give the soup a medium-thick consistency. Stir in the dill, then season with salt and pepper. Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Here for more broccoli and cauliflower recipes.
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.