Fresh Summer Tomato Sauce
The lush tomatoes of late summer can hardly be put to better use than in this lush sauce. Adapted from Pasta East to West.
Makes enough for 1 pound pasta, about 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds very ripe, fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes (oil-cured or not, as preferred)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet. Add the garlic and onion and sauté over medium-low heat until golden.
In a food processor, combine the garlic-onion mixture with the remaining oil, tomatoes, dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, and lemon juice. Process, pulsing on and off, until the mixture is coarsely and evenly chopped, but not pureed.
Toss with hot or cold pasta, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *