This quick, delicious grain side dish is great with curries but is also a good contrast to any kind of well-seasoned bean or lentil dish.
Serves: 6 as a side dish
- 1 cup raw couscous, preferably whole grain
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots or mission figs
- 1/2 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apple or orange juice, or as needed
- 1/3 cup slivered toasted almonds or chopped toasted walnuts, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the couscous in a heat proof container. Pour 2 cups boiling water over it, then cover and let stand for 15 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the apple and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Stir in the couscous, dried fruits, and spices. Add just enough juice to moisten. Cook over medium heat another 5 to 8 minutes, or until well heated through. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.