Triple-Apple Spice Cake
Applesauce cake was a fixture in early twentieth-century Ladies’ Club cookbooks. It’s appropriate for today’s savvy bakers, knowing as we do that applesauce is a great fat substitute.
Makes: One 9-inch cake, about 12 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour, or half of each
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground ginger, nutmeg, and allspice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup undiluted apple juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 2/3 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, apple juice concentrate, oil, and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir vigorously until well blended, then stir in the apples, raisins, and walnuts. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled 9- by 9-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean. Allow to cool and cut into 12 squares or wedges to serve.
- Here are more apple recipes on VegKitchen.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.