Fresh Apple Cake
This is one of those foolproof recipes that I rely on quite often when I want an easy and tasty homemade dessert for guests.
Makes one 9- by 13-inch cake, 12 or more servings
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
- 3/4 cup undiluted organic apple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 l/2 cups peeled apple, any baking variety, cut into l/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl.
In another bowl, combine the yogurt, juice concentrate, oil, and vanilla and stir vigorously to combine. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir together until thoroughly combined, then stir in the apples and walnuts.
Pour into a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and a knife inserted into the center tests clean.
- Here are more apple recipes on VegKitchen.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Vegan Cakes and Pies.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Here are more Fruity Baked Goods.