Garlicky Fresh Tomato and Basil Pizza
Here’s a fresh take on the classic tomato pizza called Margherita. This variation is packed with flavor from a generous amount of garlic. To heighten the garlic flavor and aroma further, you can sauté the garlic in infused oil as suggested in the recipe. This is a perfect pizza for late summer when tomatoes are at their peak of flavor.
Makes one 6-slice pizza; double the recipe if desired
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or infused garlic oil (I use Boyajian Garlic Oil)
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- One good-quality 12- to 14-ounce pizza crust
- 3 to 4 medium flavorful tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
(try a combination of tomatoes, including yellow, red, and heirloom)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced pitted briny black olives (such as Kalamata)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 loosely packed cup sliced fresh basil leaves, to taste
Preheat the oven to 425º F.
Place the crust on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread evenly with the onion and garlic mixture. Arrange the tomatoes in concentric circles over the surface. Sprinkle the olives over them, followed by pepper and the optional red pepper flakes.
Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of the crust is golden. Remove from the oven, then scatter the basil over the surface.Let stand for a minute or two, then cut into 6 wedges and serve.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Easy Pizza Recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pizza Dinner Recipes.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *