Chili Cheese Grits
To add variety to your grain repertoire, try grits (hulled, dried, and cracked corn kernels, long a Southern staple). Do seek out stone-ground grits, which are much more flavorful than the super-refined variety sold in supermarkets. Adapted from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet.
- 1 cup grits (preferably stone-ground,
but use quick-cooking grits if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 1 small fresh hot chili, seeded and minced, or
one 4- to 6-ounce can chopped hot or mild green chilies
- 1 cup firmly packed grated vegan cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
Bring 4 cups water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Slowly sprinkle in the grits, whisking constantly to avoid lumping. Cook over very low heat until smooth and thick, about 25 minutes for stone-ground and 5 minutes for quick grits.
Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat until the cheese is smoothly melted into the grits and serve.
Variation: Add 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen thawed corn kernels.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.