Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
Once you have some rice cooked, this sturdy, aromatic dish comes together quickly.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons olive or safflower oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and ground cloves
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon nonhydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt (soy or coconut), optional
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the cauliflower and ginger and 3 tablespoons of water and sauté until the cauliflower is lightly browned.
Add all the remaining ingredients except the last three. Stir together and cook, covered, over very low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the margarine, yogurt (if desired), and sesame seeds. Remove from the heat and serve at once.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.