Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
Once you have some rice cooked, this sturdy, aromatic dish featuring cauliflower and curry seasonings comes together quickly. For a nice meal, serve with Lentils with Greens and Sun-Dried Tomatoes and a simple salad.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (see note)
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder or garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- A pinch of dried hot red pepper flakes, optional
- Sesame seeds or chopped toasted cashews for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and sauté over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the cauliflower and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender-crisp, about 8 minutes.
Add the ginger, cooked rice, raisins, and spices. Stir together and cook, covered, over very low heat for 10 minutes. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a small amount of additional water.
Stir in the scallions and cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Add pinch of red pepper flakes for heat if you’d like.
Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or so, then garnish with sesame seeds and cashews and serve from the pan, or transfer to a serving platter or container.
Note: Start with 1 cup uncooked brown rice; cook in 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. If you’d like a more tender grain, add 1/2 cup more liquid and cook until absorbed.
Variation: This is great made with quinoa, as well. Use 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa to arrive at 3 cups cooked.
Per Serving: 150.2 calories; 3.5g fat; 13.5mg sodium; 267.1mg potassium; 28.2g carbs; 2.8g fiber; 6.5g sugar; 2.9g protein
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.
5 Responses to “Cauliflower Rice Pilaf”
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *