Couscous with Peas, Cashews, and Raisins
This mild side dish complements vegetable curries as well as recipes made with hearty winter vegetables, as in the accompanying menu.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 1 1/2 cups couscous, preferably whole grain
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread,
or 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed and steamed
- 1/2 cup toasted cashew pieces
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste), optional
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the couscous in a heatproof container and pour 3 cups boiling water over it. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. If the mixture needs more moisture, stir in a small amount of water, and serve.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.