Curried Cashew Couscous
Here’s a delicious, substantial grain dish that’s ready in minutes, leaving you plenty of time to build a meal around it.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole grain
- 1 natural, salt-free vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fragrant nut oil (such as walnut) or flaxseed oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cherries, or dried cranberries
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the couscous with 2 cups water and the natural, salt-free bouillon cube in a wide skillet or stir-fry pan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and let stand off the heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir together well, then cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving container, and serve at once.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.