Fragrant Rice and Cashew Pilaf
This simple rice and cashew pilaf recipe highlights the aroma and flavor of brown Basmati rice, which you can find in supermarkets as well as specialty and natural foods stores. This tasty side dish can enhance many kinds of meals. It’s especially good with vegetable curries.
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth, or
4 cups water with 2 natural vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati or Texmati rice
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 3 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup toasted chopped cashew pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring the water and bouillon cube to a simmer in a large saucepan. Stir in the rice, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
Stir the remaining ingredients into the rice, and serve.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.