Quinoa and Cranberry Salad
Quinoa is gluten free and a great source of protein. One cup of quinoa boasts 8 grams of protein. To put that into perspective, the average woman requires about 46 grams of protein per day. It has definitely become a very popular grain to everyone, being low in fat and high in nutrients, it is replacing the traditional rice or couscous in many recipes. Contributed from Sophia Zergiotis’ blog Love and Lentils.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature
- 2 red bell peppers (or use yellow or green), diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 large cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
(leave peel on if organic and unwaxed)
- 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves, more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss together. Let stand for 20 minutes or more, to allow the flavors to marry, then serve at room temperature.
- See more of VegKitchen’s quinoa recipes.