Bulgur and Sweet Potato Pilaf
This attractive dish has a subtle sweet flavor and the crunch of toasted walnuts. This recipe is from Vicki’s Vegan Kitchen by Vicki Chelf. [A note from Nava: Double this recipe for a great winter holiday grain dish—perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.]
Serves: 3 to 4
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup bulgur wheat, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced dried apricots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted walnuts
Bring the water to a boil in a small pot and add the bouillon cube, which will begin to dissolve. Reduce the heat to very low to keep warm.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, sweet potatoes, and garlic, and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the bulgur and sage, stir a minute, then add the apricots and turmeric. Mix well and carefully add the bouillon liquid (it will sizzle and splatter). Cover immediately, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
Fluff the pilaf with a fork, top with walnuts, and serve.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more healthy whole grain recipes.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
- Here are more recipes to enjoy a Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.