Turkish Millet With Garden-Fresh Greens
This luxurious and piquant grains-and-greens combo was contributed by Ellen Kanner, Huffington Post’s Meatless Monday blogger, and the Miami Herald’s Edgy Veggie columnist.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 cup raw millet
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or 1 or 2 dried red peppers, crumbled),
more or less to taste
- 1 big bunch greens (collards, kale, chard, whatever’s green and fresh),
washed, drained, and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses (available at middle eastern markets
and many gourmet stores
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
Bring broth or water to boil in a large saucepan. Add millet. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until millet absorbs all the liquid.
Fluff millet with a fork and set aside to cool (May be done a day or two before proceeding. Cover and refrigerate millet).
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add chopped onions, sliced garlic and red pepper. Stir for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are softened and fragrant.
Add chopped greens and dill. Stir until greens are wilted, another 3 to 5 minutes.
Add chopped walnuts, millet and canned tomatoes, stirring gently to keep the millet light. Work in tomato paste and pomegranate molasses. Add coriander and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe may be made ahead two days ahead at this point and heated through just before serving. Stir in fresh cilantro before serving.
Ellen Kanner writes the Meatless Monday column for The Huffingon Post, is the Edgy Veggie, a syndicated columnist, and Dinner Guest blogger on Culinate. She is also a contributor to Bon Appetit, Relish, Eating Well, Vegetarian Times, More, the Miami Herald and regional publications across the country including Pebble Beach and Palm Beach Illustrated.