Marinated Whole Grain Berries with Wild Rice and Black-Eyed Peas
Whole grain berries are simply the intact kernel of the grain. Combining their distinct flavor and texture with those of wild rice and black eyed peas makes for a hearty salad.
- 1/2 cup whole grain berries (wheat, spelt, triticale, etc.)
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 15-to 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Saltand freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens
Cover the wheat berries with water in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and let stand off the heat for an hour, then drain.
Combine the wheat berries with the wild rice in the saucepan along with 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer once again, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
Combine the cooked grains with the remaining ingredients while still hot and stir together. Allow to cool to room temperature or until just warm, then serve on a bed of greens.
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.