Quinoa with Corn and Scallions
What’s not to love about quinoa? It’s a powerhouse of nutrients, it cooks in 15 minutes, and its pleasantly offbeat flavor is most appealing. I try to use it often, and this quick preparation is the one I turn to most often.
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 natural, salt-free vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 to 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herb of your choice
(cilantro, parsley, or dill, or a combination), or more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the quinoa and natural, salt-free bouillon cube with 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Stir in the corn, scallions, and cumin, and continue to cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is puffy, about 5 minutes longer.
Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh herb and oil. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
- See more of VegKitchen’s quinoa recipes.