Quinoa with Cabbage and Green Beans
Everyone loves quinoa! Here’s an easy dish to highlight this super-nutritious grain.
- 1 cup raw quinoa (any variety)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red or yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh slender green beans, trimmed and cut in half (see note)
- 4 cups thinly shredded green cabbage (regular, savoy, or napa)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon poppy or sesame seeds, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve and combine in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Layer the cabbage and green beans over the onions, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, turn the heat up to medium-high, and sauté, stirring frequently until all the vegetables are lightly and evenly browned.
Transfer the cooked quinoa to the skillet and stir it in. Sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
NOTE: If good fresh green beans are unavailable, use organic frozen green beans.
- Here are more quinoa recipes.