Salsa Grain-and-Bean Pilaf
If you want to dress up a simple grain-and-bean pilaf in an instant, a good-quality, prepared tomato salsa is the answer. Serve this with a tossed salad and fresh bread; next time vary the type of grain and/or bean you use and serve it with a coleslaw and a steamed vegetable like broccoli. Adapted from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 cup raw quinoa, bulgur, or couscous
- 16-ounce can black, pinto or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato salsa (mild or medium-hot), or more, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
If using quinoa or bulgur, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the grain, then cover and cook at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. If using couscous, combine it with 2 cups of boiling water in a medium saucepan; cover and allow to soak (off the heat) for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Stir the remaining ingredients into the saucepan and cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until well heated through. Go easy on the salt and pepper; you may need little or none of either. Serve at once.