Tabbouli-Style Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
I can’t seem to get enough of tabbouli-type salads. I especially like them made with quinoa. Here I use a combination of red and regular quinoa that, combined with black beans, makes a high-protein salad that’s hearty enough to be a main dish.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 cup raw quinoa (any color, or try a combination)
- 3 to 4 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 15- to 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toasted sunflower seeds for topping, optional
Combine the quinoa with 2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, then lower the heat, cover, and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add 1/2 cup additional water and continue to simmer until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool to room temperature.
Combine with the remaining ingredients in a serving dish and mix well. Cover and let stand for an hour or so before serving if time allows. Pass around toasted sunflower seeds for topping, if desired.
Here are more: