Tropical Quinoa and Black Beans
This dramatically colorful dish is flavored with a variety of seasonings for a taste of the tropics. A splash of fresh lime juice when ready to serve to brighten the flavors even more. If you prefer extra heat, add a minced hot jalapeño or Serrano chile in addition to or instead of the cayenne. Cooked brown rice may be used instead of the cooked quinoa. Pineapple can be substituted for the mango. From Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson © 2011, Andrews McMeel. Photo by Lori Maffei.
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon natural sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
Cook the quinoa in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
While the quinoa is cooking, heat the oil or water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, sugar, thyme, cumin, allspice, coriander, and cayenne and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
Add the beans and reserved quinoa and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the mango, lime juice, and cilantro and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Serve hot (or just warm) with lime wedges, if using.
- See more of Robin Robertson’s recipes on Vegkitchen.
- Explore Vegkitchen’s wide array of quinoa recipes.
Winner of the 2009 VegNews Veggie Awards, chef and consultant, Robin Robertson has written 20 other vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. In addition to Quick-Fix Vegan others include: Quick-fix Vegetarian, 1,000 Vegan Recipes, Party Vegan, and Vegan on the Cheap.Print This Post