Italian-Style Rice and Peas (Risi e Bisi)
This simple yet tasty and comforting combination rice and green peas is inspired by the Italian classic risi e bisi. Serve as a side dish with bean dishes or bean salads.
Serves: 6 as side dish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
(best with moist but not oil-packed)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
Add the water and bouillon cube and bring to a simmer. Stir in the rice, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook just until heated through.
Stir in the parsley and dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.