“Seashells in the Sand” (Quinoa and Seashell Noodle Pilaf)
Here’s a simple combo of tiny seashell pasta and high-protein quinoa. I’m not usually one for “cute” recipe names, but both the name and the presentation worked wonders to tempt my kids to learn to love whole grains. Adults will enjoy this dish embellished with fresh herbs and toasted almonds; the kids will more likely enjoy it without. Serve with bean or vegetable dishes.
Serves: 6 or so as a side dish
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup tiny shell pasta
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- Salt or seasoned salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh herbs (try a combination of parsley, dill, and scallion), optional
- Toasted sliced or slivered almonds, optional
Combine the quinoa with 2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then turn the heat down and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a separate saucepan until al dente, then drain.
Combine the cooked grain and pasta in a serving container. Stir in the Earth Balance until melted, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in the optional fresh herbs and/or almonds, or pass around to top individual portions.
- Explore Vegkitchen’s wide array of quinoa recipes.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and
more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.