Leafy Greens Salad with Daikon Radish and Sprouts
When you’d like a refreshing companion to a warm, hearty dishes, try this leafy salad featuring daikon radish or turnip, tart apple, bok choy, and cucumber. This salad somehow says “spring” and feels cleansing, though you can enjoy it any time of year. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 4 to 6 ounces tender greens (baby greens, arugula,
baby spinach, watercress, or a mixture)
- 1 cup green sprouts (I like sweet pea shoots; use your favorite)
- 1 Granny Smith (green) apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 medium daikon radish, peeled and sliced (or substitute a good-sized
white turnip, peeled and diced, or a few sliced radishes)
- 2 large stalks celery or bok choy, sliced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, unpeeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced or grated (or substitute golden beet or two, peeled and grated)
- Olive oil and lemon juice to taste, or your favorite dressing
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl, toss, and serve.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Colorful Green Salads.