Lemon Rice with Vegetables
If you’re bored of regular rice and curry meal, this variation is a must try. Lemon-flavored rice with vegetables is a good way of taking less carbs and more healthy vegetables. Just add this rice and your choice of pickles or chutney for a complete meal. I usually have this with Ruchi South Indian pickle. Photo and recipe contributed by Abi Anandakumar, from Ami’s Vegetarian Delicacies.
Serves: 2 to 3
- 3.5 ounces Ponni, Basmati, or Samba rice, washed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon each: mustard and fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon yellow split peas
- Few curry leaves
- 4 dry red chilis, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 lemon, juiced
Wash rice and add to rice cooker with water. Water has to be double the rice amount (for example, 2 cups water for 1 cup rice; for Basmati, it has to be 1 1/2 times).
Heat oil in a large pan, add mustard, fennel seeds, yellow split peas, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Sauté for 2 minutes.
Add onion, diced potatoes, turmeric powder, and salt. Stir well, close the lid, cook in low heat till potatoes are soft.
Separately place thawed frozen vegetables in hot water for a minute, drain them and set aside.
When rice is cooked, sprinkle lemon juice, mix well using wooden spoon and let it dry. Add rice and mix vegetables to large pan, mix well. Serve with pickle or chutney.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.