Lemony Bulgur with Green Beans and Walnuts
The bulgur is filling and hearty, but the lemony flavor and the young green beans give this dish its touch of spring.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3/4 cup raw bulgur (presteamed cracked wheat)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup canned navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups slender green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths and steamed until tender-crisp
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Juice of 1 lemon, more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced soy sauce, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Place the bulgur in a heatproof dish. Pour 1 1/2 cups of boiling water over it and cover until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
Add the mushrooms; cover and “sweat” until they are wilted. Stir in the bulgur and all remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a covered casserole dish to serve.