Mixed Mushrooms Pasta Stroganoff
Mushroom lovers will revel in this earthy yet elegant vegan presentation of stroganoff, featuring a multitude of mushrooms in a creamy sauce, served over pasta. Consider looking for morels, which contribute a particularly “meaty” texture to the dish. Not that we want to imitate meat, but morels are delicious in their own right.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 8 to 12 ounces other mushroom variety of your choice (shiitakes,
morels, portobellas, etc.), cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10 to 12 ounces spiral pasta or quinoa or spelt ribbon noodles
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 1 recipe homemade Vegan Sour Cream or store-bought, or Cashew Cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
Clean the mushrooms and prepare as directed. Add to the skillet or stir-fry pan with the wine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, then remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, season to taste with salt and pepper and cover.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until just tender, then drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Transfer the noodles to a serving container. Stir in the Earth Balance and just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season to taste with a bit of salt, if you’d like.
To serve, place a bed of pasta on each plate, then some of the mushroom mixture. Garnish each serving with a little parsley.