Chocolate Banana Frozen Soft Serve
When you taste this, you won’t believe that this frozen treat is made almost purely of banana. The velvety texture and mild chocolate flavor will have you hooked. Best of all, you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it, though a food processor is a must! A powerful blender works, too. Freezing bananas that are getting almost too ripe is perfect for making treats like this, or for using in smoothies. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 4 medium very ripe bananas
- 2 to 4 tablespoons nondairy milk (like almond) or coconut creamer
- ⅓ cup organic chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For topping, optional
- Fresh fruit (berries or sliced bananas)
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Chopped nuts
- Peel bananas and cut into approximately ½-inch slices. Place in an airtight container and freeze for several hours, until frozen solid, or overnight.
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas with the chocolate syrup, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of the nondairy milk or coconut creamer.
- Process until the bananas are broken down to bits, then stop the machine to scrape down. Process again until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy, adding a bit more of the nondairy milk if the mixture needs it.
- Scrape the banana mixture back into a container and refreeze for at least a couple of hours, or until firm to the touch.
- Scoop into individual bowls and serve with any of the optional toppings listed. Eat at once!
- Explore other recipes for Vegan Ice Cream treats.