Mushroom, Asparagus, and Artichoke Medley
This tasty cold dish of small mushrooms, slender asparagus, and artichoke hearts is good served as an appetizer or first course with thinly sliced baguette. It’s especially nice as a starter for springtime celebrations. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 8 ounces small button mushrooms
- 8 to 10 ounces slender asparagus
- 8-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large half-sour dill pickle, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Wipe the mushrooms clean and trim the stem bottoms if they look dark or fibrous. If the mushrooms are larger than button size, cut them in half. Place in a skillet with just enough water to keep moist; cover and steam over medium heat for two minutes, then drain and let cool.
Trim the bottoms of the asparagus, then cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Using the same skillet, add just enough water to keep the bottom moist, cover, and steam until the asparagus is bright green and tender-crisp. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Combine the mushrooms and asparagus in a serving container. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently. Serve at once or refrigerate until needed.
Explore more of VegKitchen’s: