Napa Cabbage and Mushroom Stir-Fry
Napa (sometimes spelled nappa) cabbage, a variety common to Asian cuisines, quickly becomes tasty and tender in a simple stir-fry with mushrooms. This is compatible with Asian rice, noodle, and tofu dishes. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium head napa cabbage, leaves halved
lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 8 to 10 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- A good handful of stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms, optional
- 2 to 3 scallions, green parts only, sliced
- Salt (or soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil and wine in a stir-fry pan. Add the cabbage, mushrooms, and scallions.
Stir-fry over medium-high heat until the cabbage is tender-crisp and the mushrooms tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt ((or soy sauce or Bragg liquid aminos) and pepper, and serve.
Variation: Make this dish with a small head of thinly shredded savoy cabbage in place of the napa.