Olive Rice Salad
When the season for cold meals arrives, this easy rice salad is most welcome. Served with a simple combination of chickpeas or black beans and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs. Add some steamed broccoli or green beans to the meal for a finishing touch. Try using black rice (sometimes marketed as forbidden rice) for added eye appeal. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 3/4 cup raw medium-grain brown rice (see variations)
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded white cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
- Salt (you may not need any) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the rice with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Lower the heat, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork then let it cool completely.
Combine the rice with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together thoroughly. Serve at room temperature.
Variation: Use a more unusual variety of rice like brown Basmati, Bhutanese red rice, or forbidden black rice.
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.