Cold Capellini with Tomatoes and Basil
The companionable summer duo—tomatoes and basil—becomes quite a delicacy when teamed with angel hair pasta.
- 8 to 10 ounces capellini (angel hair pasta)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Raw Vegan Cashew Parmesan-Syle Cheez, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cool water, then drain well again.
Combine the pasta with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl, and toss well. This may be made up to an hour ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Variation: Just before serving, stir in 4 to 6 ounces finely diced vegan mozzarella. This preparation is often called “Pasta Caprese.”
- Here are more pasta salad recipes.