Cold Pasta with Tomatoes and Basil
The companionable summer duo—tomatoes and basil—becomes quite a delicacy when teamed with pasta in a dish that’s best served at room temperature. See the variation below — adding vegan mozzarella makes it a Caprese-style pasta dish.
- 8 to 10 ounces pasta (any short chunky shape, or long pasta
like angel hair or spaghetti, whole-grain if preferred
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil leaves, or as desired
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow or red onion, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons capers, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Raw Vegan Cashew Parmesan-Syle Cheez, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook the pasta according to package directions in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cool water, then drain well again.
Combine the pasta with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl, and toss well. This may be made up to an hour ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Variation: Just before serving, stir in 4 to 6 ounces finely diced vegan mozzarella. This preparation is often called “Pasta Caprese.”
- Here are more pasta salad recipes.