Mixed Mushrooms Pasta Stroganoff
Mushroom lovers will revel in this simple yet elegant preparation of ribbon noodles and creamy sauce.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced (see note)
- 4 to 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 to 6 ounces crimini or baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10 to 12 ounces quinoa or spelt ribbon noodles
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 1 recipe Vegan Sour Cream or Cashew Cream,
or store-bought vegan sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden.
Clean the mushrooms and prepare as directed. Add to the skillet or stir-fry pan with the wine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, then remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, season to taste with salt and pepper and cover.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until just tender, then drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
Transfer the noodles to a serving container. Stir in the Earth Balance and just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season to taste with a bit of salt, if you’d like.
To serve, place a bed of noodles on each plate, then some of the mushroom mixture. Garnish each serving with a little of the minced parsley and a dusting of paprika.
Note: To save time, use two 8-ounce packages pre-sliced white mushrooms. Make sure they look fresh!