Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Olives
This easy and delectable pasta dish is perfect for cool weather months when you want something comforting, yet with plenty of flavorful veggies. Adapted from Vegan Express. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
- 8 to 10 ounces penne or spiral pasta, preferably whole wheat or spelt
- 1 long narrow Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or 1 smallish eggplant, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (or one 16-ounce bag fresh precut florets)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes, 2 tablespoons
of their oil reserved
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste, optional
- Dried red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil the bottom of a large roasting pan.
Combine the eggplant and bell pepper in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with half of the oil, then stir together and transfer to the roasting pan.
Combine the broccoli, onion, and garlic in the same mixing bowl and drizzle with the remaining oil. Transfer to the roasting pan and gently mix with the other vegetables, then place in the heated oven.
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapid simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Roast the vegetables for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until nicely but not overly browned. Remove from the oven, then transfer the vegetable mixture to a large pasta bowl.
Add the dried tomatoes, olives, parsley, and balsamic vinegar and stir together with the vegetables.
Add the cooked pasta to the vegetable mixture and toss together with the reserved oil from the dried tomatoes. Add balsamic vinegar to taste if desired, then season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Serve at once.
Here are more:
- Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- recipes featuring roasted vegetables
- hearty vegan pasta recipes
Print This Post
One comment on “Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Olives”
Pingback: Recipe: Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Olives | Pocono Seek and Find