Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Olives
This easy and delectable dish combines roasted eggplant, peppers, and broccoli with pasta. It’s perfect for cool weather months, when you want something comforting yet not too heavy, with plenty of flavorful veggies. Serve with a big salad to which chickpeas or beans have been added, and a crusty bread. Adapted from Vegan Express. Photo by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen.
- 8 to 10 ounces penne or spiral pasta, preferably whole wheat or spelt
- 1 long narrow Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices,
or 1 smallish eggplant, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (or one 16-ounce bag fresh precut florets)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes, oil cured or not, as desired
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste, optional
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil the bottom of a large roasting pan, or line with baking parchment.
Combine the eggplant and bell pepper in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with half of the oil, then stir together and transfer to the roasting pan.
Combine the broccoli, onion, and garlic in the same mixing bowl and drizzle with the remaining oil. Transfer to the roasting pan and gently mix with the other vegetables, then place in the heated oven.
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapid simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, continue to roast the vegetables, stirring every few minutes, or until nicely but not overly browned. This should take from 20 to 30 minutes total. Remove from the oven, then transfer the vegetable mixture to a large pasta bowl.
Add the dried tomatoes, olives, parsley, and balsamic vinegar and stir together with the vegetables.
Add the cooked pasta to the vegetable mixture and toss together. Add balsamic vinegar to taste if desired, then season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add a bit more olive oil too, if you’d like, then serve.
Here are more:
- Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- recipes featuring roasted vegetables
- hearty vegan pasta recipes