Vegan Macaroni and Cheese
This basic vegan macaroni and cheese is rich and comforting. Using pureed silken tofu as a base makes it super easy. For an even healthier sauce, try our Almost-Raw Cheez Sauce, based on baby carrots, raw cashews, nutritional yeast, and other nutrient-dense ingredients. Boost the nutrition of this comfort food meal by serving with plenty of fresh veggies — this goes well with simply prepared broccoli or kale — and a colorful salad or platter of fresh cut vegetables with dip.
Serves: 4 to 6 adults or 6 to 8 kids
- 10 to 12 ounces pasta, any short shape like
rotini, cavatappi, or elbows (preferably whole grain)
- 12.3-ounce package silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Daiya is good for this)
- Salt to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, puree the tofu until perfectly smooth in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add the Earth Balance and cheese. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often, then cook over low heat until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
Combine the cooked pasta and sauce in a serving container and stir together. Season with salt to taste and serve at once.
- Top with fresh bread crumbs and bake in a casserole dish at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crusty.
- Top with your favorite steamed or sautéed green veggies — this is delicious with broccoli florets, spinach, chard, or kale.
- Adults might like to top their mac and cheese with browned onions, mushrooms, and/or sun-dried tomatoes.
Per Serving: 240 calories; 16.8g total fat; 18.9g carbs; 4.7g protein; 480 mg sodium