Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

This basic vegan macaroni and cheese is rich and comforting. Using pureed silken tofu as a base makes it super easy. For an even healthier sauce, try our Almost-Raw Cheez Sauce, based on baby carrots, raw cashews, nutritional yeast, and other nutrient-dense ingredients. Boost the nutrition of this comfort food meal by serving with plenty of fresh veggies — this goes well with simply prepared broccoli or kale — and a colorful salad or platter of fresh cut vegetables with dip.

Serves: 4 to 6 adults or 6 to 8 kids

• 10 to 12 ounces pasta, any short shape like
    rotini, cavatappi, or elbows (preferably whole grain)
  • 12.3-ounce package silken tofu
  • 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread like Earth Balance
  • 1 1/2 cups cheddar-style nondairy cheese (Daiya is good for this)
  • Salt to taste

Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.

Meanwhile, puree the tofu until perfectly smooth in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a medium sauce pan and add the Earth Balance and cheese. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often, then cook over low heat until the cheese is thoroughly melted.

Combine the cooked pasta and sauce in a serving container and stir together. Season with salt to taste and serve at once.

Variations:
- Top with fresh bread crumbs and bake in a casserole dish at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crusty.

- Top with your favorite steamed or sautéed green veggies — this is delicious with broccoli florets, spinach, chard, or kale.

- Adults might like to top their mac and cheese with browned onions, mushrooms, and/or sun-dried tomatoes.

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

Nutritional Information:
Per Serving: 240.1 calories; 16.8g fat; 480.3mg sodium; 89.2mg potassium; 18.9g carbs; 2.3g sugar; 0.9g sugar; 4.7g protein

image_pdfimage_print

12 Responses to “Vegan Macaroni and Cheese”

1. Jamie Wiese says:

So delicious! I used gluten-free pasta. Non-vegan family members said best mac and cheese ever. :0)

2. Sharon Lindblad says:

I made this today with gluten free pasta made from quinoa and corn. This pasta is fantastic, and will make me think twice about whole wheat pasta. I am not gluten sensitive – just like to try new things.

This has to be the best vegan cheese sauce EVER!!!

3. Nava says:

I can see how this sauce would go well with a quinoa-corn pasta. Glad you liked it. And its so incredibly easy!

4. Awesome One says:

This recipe is going to be awesome! I am a vegan, and I can’t wait to try some good maccoroni and cheese! The recipe sounds delicious!!!!

5. Jennifer Schuler says:

For added cheesy flavor, and nutritional book, add Brewer’s Yeast, my not so little kids love this.

6. Nava says:

Thanks, Jennifer. Are you sure you don’t mean nutritional yeast?

7. Samantha says:

I’ve made A LOT of variations of vegan Mac N’ Cheese, but this was by far my favorite recipe, and the easiest to make!

For an added touch, I used 2 tablespoons of tahini, and sprinkled some veggie un-bacon bits on the top! Sooo yummy :)

8. Nava says:

How flattering, Samantha, and so glad you like it! I love your tweaks, they sound delicious.

9. elisa says:

DO I have to use silken tofu? Can I use any tofu? I don’t have that in the house right now and this recipe sounds too delicious not to try right now!!

10. Nava says:

It’s best — creamiest with silken tofu, but go for it. Just make sure to blend really well and use a little extra unsweetened nondairy milk to give the sauce a creamier texture. Let me know how it works out!

11. Anya says:

I’ve been looking for a good dairy-free mac & cheese (dairy and I don’t get along well, but I still crave it), and this is SO good, and I’m pretty picky about cheese. I added a half teaspoon of paprika (like I used in my old non-vegan version) and a little garlic powder, gluten-free pasta and bread crumbs and baked it. I want to try it with the tahini next time. With this recipe, I might actually be able to go dairy-free. Thanks.

12. Nava says:

Anya,that is so awesome. Thank you. I truly believe that milk that nature formulated for a calf is not a proper human food, and will be proven to be almost like a toxin in the future (much like “4 out of 5 doctors recommend camels.” And thanks for sharing your tweaks. They sound wonderful.