Pasta Salad with Vegan Cheddar and Green Peas
Years ago, as vegetarians, my husband and I traveled through the American heartland, and I remember sampling a traditional salad whose main ingredients are green peas and cheddar cheese. I expanded this basic formula (as well as the foggy memory) into a recipe that includes pasta, making it more substantial.
- 8 to 10 ounces pasta, any short shape (try gemelli or farfalle)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shelled fresh or frozen green peas, steamed
- 1 medium-large red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives, preferably oil-cured
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 5 or 6 radishes, thinly sliced, or 1/3 cup daikon radish,
peeled, thinly sliced, and cut into half circles
- 1 cup cheddar-style vegan cheese, cut into small dice (try Daiya cheddar wedge)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or dill, or a combination
- 1/3 cup vinaigrette dressing (Basic Vinaigrette or store bought)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente. When the pasta is just about done, add the peas to the cooking water, and cook briefly. Drain and rinse until cool, then drain well again.
Combine the cooked pasta and peas with the remaining ingredients, and toss to combine. Serve at once.
- Here are more pasta salad recipes.