Pasta Shells with Pesto, Potatoes, and Green Beans
Pasta with pesto, potatoes, and green beans is a classic rustic Italian combination. It may seem odd to combine pasta and potatoes, but it does work well, and is extra hearty.
- 1 recipe Spinach-Basil Pesto
- 3 medium-large red-skinned potatoes
- 10 to 12 ounces medium shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut
into 1-inch lengths (or substitute thawed frozen cut green beans)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare the pesto as directed in the recipe and set aside until needed.
Scrub the potatoes well, and cook or microwave them until just done. When cool enough to handle, cut into large dice and set aside.
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until golden. Add about 1/2 cup of water followed by the green beans and steam, covered, until they are tender-crisp. Remove from the heat and let stand uncovered until needed.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked pasta, potatoes, and green bean mixture (including any remaining liquid). Add the pesto and vegan Parmesan cheese and toss gently but thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve at once, passing around grated Parmesan cheese for topping if desired.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.