Pasta with Red Pepper Hummus Sauce
Pasta combined with hummus might be offbeat, but it works quite well. It makes a good picnic dish, since it’s so sturdy and quite good at room temperature.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 10 ounces rotini, gemelli, or penne, or other short shape
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, with liquid, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, to taste
- 2 to 3 scallions, minced
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, combine the next 5 ingredients in a food processor. Add half of the red peppers along with their liquid, and reserve the remaining red peppers.
Process until the mixture is completely smooth. If too thick, add a small amount of water to loosen.
Chop the reserved red peppers into fairly short, narrow strips. Combine them in a large serving bowl with the cooked pasta, sauce, parsley, and scallions. Toss well and serve.
Note: When reheating leftovers, add a small amount of water, as the sauce thickens as it stands.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.