Tuscan-Style Rotini with White Beans
This pasta dish, combining rotini with white beans, needs only a tossed salad and a steamed green veggie to complete the meal. Try this with whole-grain or spelt pasta for an even heartier result.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces rotini, rotelli or other spiral pasta
(try a whole-grain variety, like spelt)
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow, 2-inch strips
- 15- to 16-ounce can Great Northern or cannellini beans, rinsed
- 14- to 16 ounce can Italian-style diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/4 cup oil-cured sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Nutritional yeast for topping, optional
Cook pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water according to package directions until al dente, then drain.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and bell pepper; sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until garlic is golden. Add beans, tomatoes, dried tomatoes, raisins, red pepper flakes, and oregano; bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the spinach, little at a time; simmer briefly, just until it wilts. Remove from the heat.
When the pasta is done, drain and combine in a large serving bowl with tomato mixture. Toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Pass around nutritional yeast, if desired, to top individual servings.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.