Vermicelli with Broccoli, Raisins, and Pine Nuts
This dish is great for a family dinner but would also be a good addition to a pot luck or barbecue. For a colorful meal, serve with a Chickpea Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, Tomatoes and Basil.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 medium bunches broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces and florets
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock or water, divided
- 10 to 12 ounces vermicelli (thin spaghetti)
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, optional
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in an extra-wide skillet or a stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the broccoli and 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock. Cover and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp. Lift the cover to stir occasionally.
Combine the vermicelli with the broccoli-onion mixture in a large serving bowl and toss together. Stir in the raisins, pine nuts, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss well.
Serve at once, passing around Parmesan cheese for topping, if desired.
- Here are more lighter seasonal vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.