Penne Primavera with Avocado Cashew Cream
I like to use penne pasta in this recipe, but any bite-sized pasta will work well. This dish is best if eaten immediately after prepared since the sauce may begin to turn brown if made in advance. Use gluten-free pasta to make this gluten-free. From Nut Butter Universe* by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.
- 12 to 16 ounces penne pasta
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup hot vegetable broth or water, or more if needed
- 1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper
- Plain unsweetened almond milk, if needed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or parsley
- Whole fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Cook the penne in a large pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until it is tender, about 10 minutes. About 5 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the broccoli and carrots. About 2 minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the zucchini. Drain the cooked pasta and vegetables well and return to the pot.
While the pasta is cooking, combine the drained cashews, garlic, and broth in a high-speed blender or food processor. Process until smooth and well blended. Peel and pit the avocado and add it to the food processor along with the scallions, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Process until smooth and creamy. For a thinner sauce, add some almond milk, if needed. For a thicker sauce, add additional avocado. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
Add the sauce to the pot containing the drained cooked pasta and vegetables. Add the tomatoes and chopped basil and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with the whole basil leaves.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.