Pink Beans with Spring Greens
Leafy spring greens like spinach, arugula, or watercress look and taste very appealing with pink beans. The more garlicky you make this simple dish, the better. A perfect choice when you’re looking to get more beans and greens in your daily fare! Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced, or agood-sized bunch garlic chives, minced
- 3 to 3½ cups cooked or two 15- to 16-ounce cans pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon good-quality chili powder
- 6 to 8 ounces small-leaf spring greens (baby spinach, baby arugula, watercress, tatsoi, or any combination), rinsed well
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until it just begins to turn golden. Add the scallions and sauté just until they soften a bit.
- Stir in the beans and chili powder and cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Add the greens to the skillet in 2 to 3 batches, covering and cooking down until wilted, making room for the entire amount.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at once.