Pinto Beans With Watercress
This simple salad pairs pinto beans with super-nutritious watercress. It boosts the protein and Vitamin C content of simple meals, and is a great choice for the lunch box as well as outdoor meals and picnics.
- One 15- to 16-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch watercress leaves, with some chopped stem
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the first four ingredients in a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pack in a tightly lidded plastic container to transport.