Baked Polenta, Zucchini, and Spinach Marinara
This combination of prepared polenta, zucchini, and spinach, smothered in marinara sauce, is almost so embarrassingly easy, but it’s such a crowd-pleaser. Use a really flavorful prepared marinara—roasted tomato, garlic, mushroom, or chunky vegetable. Photos by Rachael Braun. Serves: 6
- 2 to 3 cups good-quality marinara sauce (depending on how saucy you like your dishes!)
- 18-ounce tube polenta, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 to 8 ounces baby spinach, steamed until just wilted
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella-style vegan cheese
- Sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spread the bottom of a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish with a little of the marinara sauce, then arrange the polenta slices in a single layer. Arrange the zucchini slices over the polenta, followed by the spinach. Pour the remaining sauce evenly over the surface, then sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Cover and bake for 10 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve at once, garnishing each serving with fresh basil if desired.
Per serving: 257 calories; 14g fat; 920mg sodium; 26g carbs; 6g fiber; 6g protein
- Enjoy VegKitchen’s selection of recipes for zucchini and other summer squashes.