Potato, Corn, and Green Chile Soup
This flavorful soup of potatoes, vegan cheese, and green chiles is a nondairy version of a contemporary classic from the American Southwest. It’s filling, so it can serve as a centerpiece of a meal, served with a salad or salad-y wraps. Try this with Cool Refried Bean Wraps for a nice meal. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced (leave peels on if they're nice and clean and potatoes are organic; otherwise peel)
- 32-ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth plus 2 cups water, or 4 cups water with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup chopped fresh ripe tomatoes (substitute canned if good tomatoes are unavailable)
- 1 to 1½ cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeños, or 1 to 2 mild poblano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella-style vegan cheese, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, or more, as desired.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper and sauté until the mixture begins to turn golden.
- Add the potato dice and broth or water with bouillon cubes. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reach into the pot and mash about half the potatoes roughly, or just enough to thicken the base.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, and oregano. Add additional water as needed to give the soup a thick but not overly dense consistency. Stir together, return to a simmer, then simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes and corn are done.
- Sprinkle in the grated cheese, a little at a time, stirring it until it is fairly well melted each time. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over very low heat, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes.
- Serve at once, or let stand for an hour or so before serving. Heat through as needed and adjust the consistency with more water if the soup becomes too thick.
- Just before serving, taste to adjust seasonings and stir in the cilantro or parsley.
Per serving: 234 calories; 11g total fat; 5g protein; 6g fiber; 33g carbs; 239 mg sodium
- Explore other delicious vegan soup recipes here at Soulful Soups.