Quick Cool Pinto Bean Puree
- Two 16-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 14- to 16-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped mild green chilies (fresh or canned), optional
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables stock or water, or as needed
Combine the beans, canned tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro or parsley in a food processor or blender and process until well pureed. Transfer to a large serving container and stir in the lemon juice, chili powder, and cumin.
Place the green pepper and fresh tomatoes in the food processor and pulse on and off 2 or 3 times. Add the olives and pulse on and off quickly, 2 or 3 times more, or until the vegetables are finely chopped (approximately 1/4-inch pieces).
Stir into the bean puree, then add the chilies if desired. Stir in enough stock or water to achieve a medium-thick consistency. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variation: Garnish each serving with diced avocado and extra scallions.
- Here are more recipes for cold summer soups.
Print This Post